Office Hours (except school holidays and public holidays):
Monday: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Tuesday: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Wednesday: 9.00am – 1.00pm
Thursday: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Friday: 9.00am – 1.00pm
Kerrie Neighbourhood House Staff and Volunteers provide information and referral support to local residents. For assistance, please feel free to pop into the House, during office hours, for a cuppa and chat, or give us a call on 03) 9887 6226
Please see the City of Monash’s website about face coverings, along with a couple of links to how-to videos to make your own mask.
Here is a link to a collection of translated YouTube videos about face coverings and masks.
Please find information on Wavecare’s free telehealth service for people who are socially isolated at present during COVID-19. Wavecare have trained volunteers and social work students who aim to offer assistance to people who need it at the moment. There is no fee for this service. This service is currently delivered in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Punjab, Nepalese, Vietnamese, Singa and Thai.
Grass pollen season brings a seasonal increase in asthma and hay fever (seasonal allergic rhinitis). It also brings the chance of epidemic thunderstorm asthma. Thunderstorm asthma can affect those with asthma or seasonal hay fever. Having both asthma and seasonal hay fever and poorly managed asthma increases the risk further.
- Community information is available on the Better Health Channel: www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/
- Additional resources are available for the general community, including sports and recreation groups, schools and workplaces from Asthma Australia: https://asthma.org.au/
- The Australian Asthma Handbook and a dedicated information paper on thunderstorm asthma are available from the National Asthma Council website: https://www.nationalasthma.
Peaceful Parenting Webinar – Peaceful Parents Equals Happy Kids
Webinar for Parents of Children Aged 2 to 12 years
- Learn ways to deal with anger and anxiety in your children and in yourself?
- Improve communication and relationships with your children?
- Discover strategies to manage challenging behaviour?
- Take care of your own emotional wellbeing and resilience?
When: Wednesday 28 October 2020
Time: 7:00 to 8:30 pm
Where: Online via Zoom
Cost: Free of charge for parents and carers in Melbourne’s Eastern Region.
‘My Body. My Health.’ is a series of five educational presentations to help organisations deliver health information to women from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
The presentations were developed with the Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health, and involved consultation and collaboration with service providers, clinicians, women from migrant and refugee communities, and multicultural health organisations.
Southern Melbourne Primary Care Partnership have been working on a video featuring positive ageing in Chinese with English subtitles. Check out the video here: https://youtu.be/OSaq8othnfo.
Monash’s Click and Collect Service is available to members of the Monash Public Library Service who have reserved items to borrow and live within a 5km radius of a branch.
Dance Up! Australia – Explore the world of dance.
Dance Up! Australia provides a wonderful opportunity to join in learning and sharing cultural dances, meet new friends and enjoy the benefits of movement and dance.
Information for people in need of assistance;
To be eligible for the Extreme Hardship Support Program a person must:
- live in Victoria, and
- be unable to access Commonwealth income support (such as JobKeeper or JobSeeker) or the Victorian International Student Emergency Relief Fund, and
- have zero or very limited income, savings or community support
- be a temporary or provisional visa holder, or an undocumented migrant.
To apply for emergency financial assistance go to www.redcross.org.au/
Community members can also call a dedicated phone line on 1800 855 240.
Please find below information relating to the recently announced Business Support Programs
Commercial Landlord Hardship Fund – help for small private landlords experiencing financial hardship. Eligible landlords can receive up to $3,000 per tenancy.
Business Support Fund 3 – grants of $10,000, $15,000 and $20,000 (depending on annual payroll) available for eligible businesses that must stay closed or operate under restrictions until COVID Normal.
The links contain translated factsheets, web copy and social media content in Arabic, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Hindi, Punjabi and Vietnamese.
Media release from Fronditha about Elder Abuse Awareness in English and Greek
Media release about the long-awaited headspace service opening in Monash in October 2020. This is great news for young people, their families and the broader community.
Contact numbers for Mental Health Services
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- Mensline Australia 1300 789 978
- Kids Help Line 1800 551 800
- For help and support with family violence, visit safesteps.org.au or call Safesteps 24/7 on 1800 015 188